Thursday, October 3, 2013

Day Thirty

I've not been faithful to the Lord, nor to my plan.  I've allowed myself to become derailed, choosing licentiousness over obedience and, for the most part, I've chosen the former for the better part of a week.

Some, no doubt, would wonder at my using such a strong word as licentiousness in this regard, but when I consider it's meaning, I believe it wholly appropriate.

LICEN'TIOUSNESS, n. Excessive indulgence of liberty; contempt of the just restraints of law, morality and decorum. 

As Christians, we somehow think that God's Law, His morality, applies only to the "big" sins, sins like fornication and murder, etc., and yet, while thoroughly enjoying God's good gift of great food in moderation is just fine, making it an idol is not. 

IDOL'ATRY, n. [L. idololatria. Gr. idol, and to worship or serve. ]1. The worship of idols, images, or any thing made by hands, or which is not God.

Sometimes my thoughts are consumed by food, particularly when I choose to deny myself, and I've heard others say they experience the same thing.  I can't help but believe that I've set food up on a pedestal, given it a place of prominence in my life, as opposed to keeping it in it's lawful place, that place of sustenance, rather than worship.

I don't believe food ought not be thoroughly enjoyed, on the contrary.  It is, as I've said, God's very good gift to us.  As He's provided us with so much variety and the creative ability to prepare it in myriad ways, there's no doubt it's to be enjoyed in all of its forms and with great gusto.  The caution is to enjoy it while not permitting it to assume an unlawful place in our lives.  And therein lies my sin, my idolatry. 


"Lord, here I am yet again, bowing before you in humility, asking for forgiveness and for the ability to obey you in all things.  This I know, I can do nothing in my own strength, but rely wholly upon your equipping and enabling.   Help me, Father, to order every area of my life in a way which honours you.  I pray this and all things in the Name of Jesus, that One who alone is able to save and to help."  
    

1 comment:

  1. Start again, keep going, stand and withal stand. I read your post and it could be me talking. I know for me once I get on a roll of exercising and eating right then I can do it! How hard it is to get on that roll. So easy the discouragment and abandonment. It seems so simple. Surrender. Sin Renounced! Spirt-Control. Small Steps.

    ReplyDelete