Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Day One - And So It Begins

Today is Day One, the beginning of change. 

I've done various fad diets throughout the years, and as is the case with so many others I know, the results were short-lived.  I define the word fad in this instance as an acronym for "Fast Acting Diet", because that's pretty much what most are.  Calories and/or food choices are limited to such a degree that the weight seems to quickly melt away, and who wouldn't want that?!

Two years ago, beginning at almost exactly this time of year, I paid big bucks to, in essence, starve myself for six months while on a medically supervised diet which included B6 and B12 shots three times per week.  I loved the quick results, 70 lbs. lickity split!  I felt terrific once the weight was off, had regained my much missed sense of balance and had energy galore.  Carrying so much extra weight had felt like being trapped in a prison, I couldn't believe how good, how free I felt once it was off. The only problem, of course, is that you can't go from eating 800 or less calories a day to eating normally without putting it all back on again.  I knew that.  I mean seriously, I've been around the block a few times, I'm 54, no spring chicken, so I understood the chemistry of it all, but even though I knew it mentally, I'd convinced myself that once I'd tasted freedom I'd never go back into bondage.  You know what they say, "never say never".  At least I looked slim in my son's wedding photos!  :-)

A couple of months ago I started another diet, one which many other Christian women have begun recently with promising results.  The principle of it makes perfectly good sense, but I just can't see myself eating that way for the rest of  my life, though perhaps others can.  It basically recommends you eat a protein base with every meal, but the second element has to be either fat OR carbohydrate, you aren't to eat both of the latter together, except in very sparing amounts.  The science behind it sounds good and many I know are enjoying good success, but long term, at least for me, I just can't see it.  I may try to implement some of the recipes/ideas from time to time, but I think I really need to simply do a type of "moderation" diet.  At least that's what I'm purposing to do.  And exercise.  Not to excess, but to incorporate a reasonable amount of deliberate activity into my weekly schedule.

So, here goes!

"Here I am again, Lord, calling upon You in the Name of Jesus, asking You to be my strength, my wisdom.  I know all too well that all of my efforts in every area of life when I've left You out have come to naught.  I need Your guidance, Your direction, Your strength.  Help me to remember that, Lord, help me to not get caught up again in believing that I can overcome my propensity to sin in this or any other area without leaning heavily on Your strong arm."

No comments:

Post a Comment