Saturday, September 7, 2013

Walking As Exercise - The Benefits

I found this on the net and wanted to save it to remind myself of the benefits of walking, so am copying it here.

"Walking to lose weight is a popular option for those who wish to embark on an exercise program. Walking is one of the best forms of physical activity that can help people shed pounds and feel better about themselves. Just by walking one brisk mile ( 1.6 km), a person can burn as many calories as someone running one (1.6 km) mile at a moderate pace. 
 
A sensible goal is to walk for 30 minutes at least four or five times a week in order to receive the most benefits from a walking program. A 150-pound (68 kg) person walking between 3.5 to 4 (5.6 to 6.4 km) miles an hour can expect to burn about 300 calories. Walking several days this distance can help the average person lose weight.
 
To walk to lose weight, a person should try to take more steps throughout the course of the day. The amount of steps can be tracked by wearing a pedometer. Taking the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator will help most people achieve the goal of walking more miles. For example, if a person takes at least 5,000 steps throughout the course of one day, she will have walked about 2.5 (4 km) miles.

Work on technique for walking. For example, bending the arms at a 90 degree angle and pumping like a race walker will help a person achieve a quicker walking pace. On average, this will allow someone to burn about five to ten percent more calories.  Another good technique to use while walking is to employ interval training. Every five minutes, speed up the walking pace. Keep the pace for about two minutes before returning to the regular speed.
 
Instead of walking on a track, consider varying terrain. For example, walking on sand, grass, or gravel will increase calorie burn. Trudging uphill can also burn more calories than walking on a flat surface, as long as the walker maintains a steady pace. Uphill walking also helps a person build strength and stamina as she works to make it to the top of a hill."

It's all pretty basic, really.  As I've mentioned, I'm currently walking 2.5 km or 1.6 miles daily.  I don't actually leave the yard, as I have to be here for the girls.  So, I walk down past the barn, over to and around the turkey run, then back up past the barn to the house.  I do that five times which takes almost exactly 30 minutes, perhaps a smidgeon more and, according to our van's odometer, is 2.5 km.   The girls have walked along with me, or stopped to catch frogs and creepy-crawlies to feed the frogs, running to catch up once they've deposited all of the critters into a fish tank I bought for them a couple of weeks ago at a thrift store.  It was a real steal at $10 and I'm glad to have my Rubbermaid back, but I digress...  :-)

Well, off to walk right now.  It's drizzling, but not raining yet, so that's good!

"Thank You, Father, for good, strong legs, heart, and lungs.  Thank You for the ability to walk and move at will. Help me to use my body in such a way as to glorify You and not my own prideful self."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment